UPDATES AS AT 1ST JUNE 2020
University of Aberdeen Medical School- Virtual Open Day- Saturday 13th June
We would like to welcome prospective students and their families to the upcoming virtual medical open day on Saturday 13th June. Find out more about what’s involved in studying medicine, the application process, and chat to staff and students within an online environment. To find out more and to register please visit HERE
All Scottish medical and dental schools use the UCAT as part of the admissions process for medicine and dentistry. UCAT have just announced today that testing WILL take place in Summer 2020, with a choice of at home or test centre locations. We recommend around 25-30 hours of practice before sitting the test and to use the free resources available at https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/practice-tests/. Students and teachers can access the latest information on 2020 testing HERE Please note that booking is due to open on 1st July.
We are aware that most, if not all, in person work experience opportunities have been cancelled or postponed for medical applicants. The Medical Schools Council have released guidance for prospective students regarding work experience in light of COVID-19 which can be accessed HERE: Please note that clinical work experience is not required in order to apply for medical school. We would encourage pupils to access online work experience opportunities as an alternative, such as the Observe GP tool. Information on which can be accessed in the guidance above.
We will be running our usual workshops for pupils online. We were awaiting news from UCAT regarding summer testing before releasing dates for these but will be in touch separately with an update. Pupils should register online with Reach HERE.
REACH Aberdeen – Careers in Medicine and Law and study at Aberdeen University
If any senior student has had work experience cancelled, and/or looking for Medicine or Law related activities to complete online Aberdeen University have compiled a list of links (click the bold/RED links) which we have found for Law and Medicine
* Linklaters virtual experience programme (this may be more focused on English law but a good opportunity to learn more about a global commercial firm.)
* Future Learn have some good free law courses that helps them connect with some of the top educators in the world. Most of the courses are focused on English Law and are for those with previous knowledge, however “The Modern Judiciary: Who They Are, What They Do and Why it Matters” is aimed at their age group. Please note that it is English law, however it may still be of interest and particularly for anyone who is considering the joint Eng/Scots law degree.
* The Law Society of Scotland is the regulatory body for all solicitors in Scotland. Their website has vast information on studying the LLB and qualifying as a solicitor. They also have a twitter account aimed at those considering or currently studying law
* The law is being challenged in ways that it never has before due to the current situation. You can find out more HERE about how it is impacting Scots law
A handout from the Medical Schools Council is attached below:
Received 27th April 2020
* Brighton & Sussex Medical School Virtual Work Experience. You need to register for this but it’s a fantastic free resource.
* Royal College of General Practice they will be launching their online work experience platform in May 2020. Details of the platform will be communicated to you as soon as possible, but check out their site
* Medical Schools Council – have a look at the guidance (downloads a pdf file) on relevant work experience for applying to Medical School. Students might find that they have already undertaken activities that count as work experience.
* Khan Academy (free access)- Health and Medicine course. Loads of great videos and online guides relating to different medical conditions, anatomy, physiology, pathology.
* Free MOOC courses. You can check out a list of free MOOC courses which has been produced by Reach Edinburgh. (Currently mostly vet courses but some Medical)
Studying at the University of Aberdeen
The University of Aberdeen webpage has various information about studying there and may hold answers to many of your questions.
The Aberdeen Law School twitter is regularly updated with information about our lecturers, course content, successes and links to blog posts.
There is a University of Aberdeen YouTube channel which includes a tour of the campus
Applications are open for scholarship opportunities and you can apply via the university website. Many of the scholarships have the deadline of the 18th May, however this does vary.
For law students the Lawscot foundation bursary is now open for applications and can be applied for via their website